Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

{What's Cookin'?} Stewed Chicken and Tomatoes over Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes

I am so excited to share this meal with you today!

It was one of those dinner nights with out a plan. You know, when you just start pulling things out that seem to match and figuring it out as you go. Around here dinners like that are known as Scrounger's Delight, a name made up by my roommates and I in college.

While usually palatable and satisfying Scrounger's Delight has never received the highest complement to be awarded to great dinners around here, until I made this. When Nick told me, not once, but twice, that I could serve this in my restaurant (no, I don't actually have a restaurant, but it was that good.)

I love this meal because it's A. Delicious, B. a snap to prepare and C. can be made with the chicken still frozen (not that I ever forget to take meat out to thaw...but I'm just saying.)


I'm not one to do much measuring and timing but here's the low down on making this delicious bowl of deliciousness. Perfect for days that are cooling from summer to fall and a great recipe for your bumper crop of tomatoes!

Stewed Chicken and Tomatoes

Ingredients
Olive Oil
1/2 red onion - sliced
1 rib celery - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
4-6 tomatoes (depending on size) - cut into large pieces
6 chicken thighs
bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups spinach, thick stems removed
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Heat olive oil in large pan. Saute onion, celery and garlic until soft.
Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, bay leaf and red pepper. Simmer until chicken is cooked through.
Stir in spinach to wilt before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes

I chop and boil a pile of  red potatoes until soft. I like to mash them by hand and don't worry about any lumps, it makes them kinda rustic (guess I have a thing for lumpy, rustic food, weird...check out my "rustic" applesauce. And since when do lumps = rustic anyway?). I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, milk and chicken broth until they were creamy, cheesey and garlicy good.

Serve the stewed chicken with it's savory sauce over mashed potatoes. Repeat. (We definitely each ate two huge servings.)

Enjoy friends!

In Him,
Kim

I'm linking up here today...
        

1 comment:

  1. This looks (and sounds) delicious! I might have to add this to my list of recipes to try :)

    ReplyDelete